I'm running Office 2013 Pro Plus 32-bit (MSI-based) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. When trying to open an Excel, Word, or PowerPoint documents I get this error message:
Sorry, we can't perform this action. Incompatible Office products are installed on your machine. If you have an administrator, please contact them for help.
After clicking OK the file opens and functions normally.
Further, if I attempt to browse OneDrive or a SharePoint site through Word or Excel the same error is displayed. After clicking OK I can continue browsing the connected service. Unfortunately, removing the services doesn't solve the problem.
How can I fix this?
- The error is only displayed when opening the first document in the Office program. Once the error has been displayed, I can open other documents and don't get the error.
- I only get the error when opening documents stored on a mapped network drive. No error is displayed when opening documents stored on my local hard drive.
Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft Office Alerts log I found an entry with event ID 300 and Source "Microsoft Office 15 Alerts" that has this text:
Sorry, we can’t perform this action. Incompatible Office products are installed on your machine. If you have an administrator, please contact them for help.
My research/Attempted Solutions:
- I tried deleting my Personal Macro workbook. No change.
- I found this Microsoft forum post which suggests uninstalling SharePoint Designer 2010, but I don't have that product installed.
- The forum refers to KB2920798, which I installed today, but I'm able to open my Office files, contrary to the KB's claim that
This update provides you an informative message when you cannot open an Office document. I do not have any click-to-run Office products installed.
- Over the weekend I installed SimCity 3000 Unlimited which is an older game. It installed "MS Access 97 SP2 Runtime. Update: Uninstalling this didn't help.
- I also installed available Windows Updates this weekend, about 20-30 of them to my recollection.